Please ignore the arbitrary start date for this online course. You will be able to start the course within 1 working day of your booking.
This online course comprises of 4 modules. Each module is approximately 45 minutes in length.
The modules are as such:
Module 1 Introduction and Overview of standard
Module 1 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Reasons for carrying out tree works
- Potential consequences of pruning
- Natural Target Pruning: minimise damage
- The decision-making process (Stage 1. Instruction, Stage 2. Planning, Stage 3. Options, Stage 4. Specification, Stage 5. Control of work, Stage 6. Execution of works, and Stage 7. Follow ups)
- Tree work safety and planning
- Avoiding transmission of pests and pathogens
- Avoiding damage from tree work operations and site management.
Module 2 Scheduling Tree Works
Module 2 will take about 55 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Risk control
- Scheduling of work affecting the soil, soil: do you understand it, do you consider it?, scheduling of pruning / phenology
- Past damage / past management
- Habitat and wildlife
- Timing of works, seasonal problems, phased work
- Veteran trees
- Management of the rooting environment
- Mulching, aeration / decompaction, removal / replacement of soil, nutrient deficiencies, other treatments and treatment of contaminated soil Module 2
Module 3 Pruning and Related Works
Module 3 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Minimising the potentially undesirable effects of pruning,
- Deciding where and how much to prune, key principles.
- Pruning operations: risk management of deadwood - formative pruning - crown lifting - crown thinning - crown reduction – pollarding.
- Structural weaknesses and specialised practices.
Module 4 Tree Works Applications
Module 4 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Applying for works to protected trees,
- Specifications / definitions,
- Conditional consent,
- Acceptable levels of pruning and phasing of tree works.
BS3998 Book List:
Here is the list of publications mentioned throughout the course.
Terms and Conditions for BS3998
The Arboricultural Association reserves the right to cancel courses and refund applicants.
A £30 administration charge may be applied to changes made to bookings that have been received and acknowledged.
You have a legal right to cancel the Agreement, under the Consumer Agreements Regulations 2013, during the period of 14 days after the date you receive a Confirmation Email from us. This means that during this period if you change your mind or decide for any other reason that you do not want a Course, you can advise us of your decision to cancel the Agreement and receive a refund, provided that you have not started the course.
Please note, a FULL charge will be applied to any booking cancelled after online content has been accessed.
For all course bookings outside the UK and Europe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whilst not essential, it may be helpful to have a copy of BS3998 with you if possible throughout the course.