• Introduction - BS5837 overview
• What data to collect during tree surveying, what is it used for?
• Tree data collection equipment and how it is used
• In field data recording and organisation
• Outdoor practical exercises – measurement and collection of data
• Overview of tree categorisation and subjectivity
• Workshop on categories, criteria, and sub-categories
• Outdoor practical exercises – Assessment and categorisation of trees
• Summing up and questions
Facilities/Equipment highly recommended
• Boots, outdoor clothing for all weathers
• Tree surveying equipment
• Diameter tape
• Measuring tape/wheel
• Height measuring device (Hypsometer, clinometer, etc.)
Course Materials provided:
• Course hand out
• Proforma survey document
Arboricultural Association attendance certificate
Course will include some outdoor practical sessions (please bring suitable clothing for indoor and outdoor sessions)
Refreshments and lunch are provided
Arboricultural consultants/surveyors Tree officers: any person working in Arboricultural with an understanding of BS5837 survey’s and tree identification.
Other industries Architects, Landscape Architects, developers, planning authorities.